Experienced Lawyer Advocates for Southern California Clients in Child Custody Decisions
Empathetic Calabasas attorney helps parents seeking custody and visitation
Child custody is often the most contentious issue in a divorce. At Saucedo Law Group in Calabasas, I assist residents throughout Los Angeles and Ventura counties and surrounding areas in getting satisfactory results in child custody and visitation decisions so that they can continue to be a part of their child’s life.
Knowledgeable attorney explains best interests of children
Neither mothers nor fathers are given any special preference under the law in child custody determinations. Rather, the judge will make their choice based on what is in the child's best interests given the particular circumstances. Some of the factors that courts look at include:
- Each parent’s willingness to allow contact with the other parent
- The child’s preference depending on their age and maturity
- The child’s safety and well-being
- Each parent’s mental and physical health
- The stability of the home environment
- Whether domestic violence has been an issue
If you are undergoing divorce or are an unmarried parent seeking custody or visitation, I will advocate for the best arrangement for your situation.
Committed lawyer seeks satisfactory custody and visitation outcomes
Custody consists of legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody is the authority to make decisions for children regarding medical care, education and other important issues. It is often the preference of the courts in California that parents share legal custody, unless sharing isn’t in the child’s best interests. Physical custody refers to who the child lives with a majority of the time, and it can be joint or shared. When it is joint, each of the parents have close to the same amount of time with the child. I will stand up for your interests and those of your child in custody decisions.
Dedicated counselor helps clients understand visitation
There are several different types of visitation the courts may order depending on the situation. They include:
- Visitation (also called parenting time) according to a written schedule — A visitation schedule details exactly when children will be with each parent.
- Reasonable visitation — An open visitation order that allows parents to work out visitation between them. When parents are in agreement and can get along, this type of visitation allows for more flexibility.
- Supervised visitation — This may be ordered if a child’s well-being is potentially threatened by being alone with a parent.
In rare cases, a parent may not get any custody or visitation at all if the court decides no contact with the parent is in a child’s best interests. If you want visitation with your child, I will work hard to try and get you a positive outcome.
Contact a compassionate Calabasas child custody lawyer for help
Saucedo Law Group in Calabasas helps California clients in Los Angeles, Ventura and surrounding counties in child custody and visitation matters. To schedule a free consultation, call my firm at 818-918-6166 or contact me online.